Ohio Association of Private Colleges for Teacher Education
:: Home :: About :: Constitution
The Ohio Association of Private Colleges for Teacher Education
Organizational Framework and Operational Guidelines
- Executive Committee
- Regional Representatives
- At Large Membership
- The President of OAPCTE shall be presiding officer of the Executive Committee.
- The President-elect shall serve on the Executive Committee.
- The Secretary shall serve on the Executive Committee.
- The Treasurer shall serve on the Executive Committee.
- Additional Members
- The person from a private college or university serving as President or President-elect of the Ohio Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (OACTE) shall serve on the Executive Committee.
- The Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio shall appoint a member to serve on the Executive Committee (AICUO).
- Duties of the Executive Committee
- Appoint members to fill vacancies of elected member of the executive committee, subject to election at the next general membership meeting.
- Recommend the amount of dues to the membership at the annual spring general membership meeting.
- The officers of OAPCTE shall be the President-elect, the President, the Immediate Past-President, the Secretary, and the Treasurer.
- The President-elect shall be elected at large in years divisible by two. The President-elect shall serve two years as President-elect and shall assume the office of President of July 1 of the year following the election and serve as President for two years, then as Immediate Past-President for two years after the term as president is completed.
- The Secretary shall be elected for two-year terms in odd numbered years. The Secretary shall be nominated by the Executive Committee and elected at the spring general meeting.
- The Treasurer shall be elected for two-year terms in even numbered years. The Treasurer shall be nominated by the Executive Committee and elected at the spring general meeting.
- Duties of the Officers
- Immediate Past-President:
- Duties of the Standing Committees
- Program Planning Committee
- Graduate Studies Committee
- Governmental Liaison
- Amending the Constitution
- Suggested amendments to the Constitution may be initiated and recommended to the Executive Board by the general membership or a member of the Executive Board.
- The suggested change will be considered by the Executive Board.
- When brought to the general membership for a motion, discussion, and vote, the amendment must pass by a two-thirds vote of those present at the General Meeting of the OAPCTE.
The name of the organization is The Ohio Association of Private Colleges for Teacher Education. The acronym used to identify the organization is OAPCTE.
Membership is open to all non-tax-supported colleges and universities located in Ohio with teacher education programs approved by the Ohio State Board of Education.
Member institutions shall be represented by the designated head of teacher education and one (1) additional education faculty representatives selected by the institution.
The governing body for the OAPCTE is the Executive Committee.
Eight members of the Executive Committee shall be elected by four regions of the State Š identified by telephone area codes for terms two years in length. If any regional representative resigns, a new representative shall be elected at the next general membership meeting.
|Area code 216/330/440||Northeast|
|Area code 419||Northwest|
|Area code 513/937||Southwest|
|Area code 614/740||Southeast|
Four members shall be elected at-large for two-year staggered terms at the spring general meeting. No more than one elected member shall come from one institution.
The following persons shall serve on the Executive Committee by virtue of the office they hold:
The Executive Committee shall meet a minimum of four times a year. Members of the Executive Committee who miss 3 consecutive scheduled meetings may be replaced by the Executive Committee to fill the remainder of the term.
Mileage expenses shall be paid to Executive Committee members at IRS rate.
Open Meeting Policy: Regularly scheduled meetings of the Executive Committee are open for member institutions to send participating non-voting observers.
The Executive Committee shall be the governing body for the OAPCTE. The Committee shall respond to the concerns expressed by member institutions. The Committee shall be alert to matters of teacher education at the state and national levels and shall take positions related to the best interest of private institutions. All member institutions are to be informed of positions taken by the Executive Committee.
Specific duties of the Executive Committee include the following:
The President-elect shall serve on the Executive Committee and shall assist the President, as the President shall request. The President-elect shall chair meetings if the President and Immediate Past-President are absent.
The President shall chair general meetings and meetings of the Executive Committee. The President shall represent the OAPCTE with other organizations, the Ohio State Department of Education, and other teacher education entities. The President shall provide leadership for the organization. The President will coordinate the appointment of members of commissions, task forces, etc., as requested by outside agencies such as the Ohio Department of Education, GovernorÕs Office, etc.
The Immediate Past-President shall advise the President and assist the organization as requested. The Immediate Past-President shall chair meetings if the President is absent.
The Secretary shall keep an accurate record of all meetings and distribute minutes to all member institutions, members of the Executive Committee of OAPCTE, the President of OAPCTE, and AICUO. The Secretary shall receive and dispatch correspondence for the OAPCTE. The Secretary shall maintain all records for the organization (complete and current) for transfer to a successor.
The Treasurer shall invoice member institutions, collect dues, monitor the funds of the OAPCTE, maintain financial records and pay obligations of the OAPCTE. The Treasurer shall provide an annual financial report to the membership at the Fall general meeting. The Treasurer shall arrange to have the books audited annually at the end of each fiscal year. The Treasurer shall maintain all records of the organization (complete and current) for transfer to a successor.
A standing committee for program planning shall be appointed by the Executive Committee.
The Executive committee shall designate the chairperson of the committee.
Unused financial resources available after all conference obligations have been met shall be placed in the treasury of OAPCTE.
A standing committee on graduate studies in education shall be appointed by the Executive Committee.
The Executive Committee shall designate the chairperson of the committee.
The committee on graduate studies shall report to the Executive Committee on matters of concern related to graduate studies in education in private institutions.
A standing committee shall be appointed by the Executive Committee to work with the various governmental agencies relevant to teacher education in private colleges.
The AICUO liaison shall be a member of this committee.
The committee shall report to the Executive Committee on matters of concern to the private colleges and universities.
Revised October 2008